August 24, 2013

Lighting Up

I bounced back and forth this summer between my home and where Z lives.  We both waited for the offer, and then the acceptance, and then the paperwork and then the logistics.  But I did know that I was not in a rush to uproot him to my home.  He has lived most of his life at one barn with the same people, I know in his mental state any sudden changes could spell disaster for our trust.

So, every time I was in town I made a point to spend time with Z.  The first day I went out to catch him I was unsure of what to expect-I had heard so many stories.  He ignored me when I approached and entered his stall.  I waited and reached out to touch his shoulder.  HIs whole body went rigid and he leapt from beneath my hand.  His reaction was violent. He watched me as I gently explained my intentions and tried again.  Within moments he lowered his muzzle into the halter.  I have to admit I enjoyed the collective gasp when we walked back into the barn together!

I started riding him too.  Lightly, softly, and slowly.  He goes in a bitless bridle and I worked to break his habit of tensing, curling, and running while remembering that he had barely been ridden in years.  He seemed to settle and stayed calm for our entire rides.

When I returned after an absence to teach a camp, I was greeted eagerly by Z with a wicker.  That was a special moment.  I decided maybe he was ready to join the world again.  So, I asked him to come be our model for pony parts (this involves a herd of children and stickers).  He was happy to come in the barn and stood waiting in the cross ties.  

When the herd of TWELVE (a lot of noise, energy, and motion) children came around the corner of the aisle I watched him light up.  His posture changed and he seemed to grow an inch or two.  His ears came up and his eyes became soft and alert and he lowered his head to greet the approaching stampede.  I was speechless and excited as he stood patiently while the stickers and children went everywhere.  But the best part was he was engaged!  He had again lost that sour look and was curious and attentive with the kiddos. 

People ask me why I continue to teach and train.  It's not actually for me, or the kids, or the money.  It's for the horses.  If I can make one horse's journey on earth a little easier, then I have done my job.  And that day the horse was Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment