August 29, 2013

Coming Alive

The first time I turned Z out in the pasture, I made sure I was the only person at the barn.  I was predicting failure at being able to bring him back in so I did not want anyone around to say, 'I told you so'.  So, after our hack and a bath I turned him out in the front pasture and I retreated back to the barn to prepare for a week of camp.

A couple hours later, I called Z's name from the gate.  He lifted his head and started ambling toward me.  I am not sure I was breathing, but I started talking to him as I grabbed the halter and started walking to meet him.  I reached out to pat his neck and he did not flinch or tense. Instead, he lowered his head towards the halter.  (Now, I wished everyone in the world was there watching!)

So, for the rest of the week this was our routine.  I would take him out in the mornings and bring him back in in time for dinner.  He was still going out by himself, but at least he was going out!  He was eagerly greeting me in mornings, and again in the pasture.  In fact, he would hear me talking to people at the barn and he would start nickering.

All in all, this was much more progress then I was expecting, and in barely three weeks of days spent together spread over a summer.  I was exhilarated.  Z was connecting with me, and he had connected with the kiddos.  Our rides were going well, and he was getting to go in and out of the pasture.  I guess, in a lot of ways his life had transformed back to the better days, but I had not expected him to transition to quickly or easily.

My second to last day in town, I came to the barn early and turned Z out with the herd of school horses for the day.  After a week of coming in and out, I was hoping he had settled into a routine and would be willing to come back in with the herd when I came back to ride in the evening.

Z was not in the pasture when I drove up.  But before I could ask anyone, I was greeted by an excited employee telling me that Z had let her bring him in from the pasture.  I was shocked.  (This same employee had tried for months to bring him in not too long ago...)  A kiddo hanging around asked if I was upset that someone other then me could catch Z.  I told them honestly, 'Absolutely not.  I am thrilled.'  And I was.  In order for Z to move forward in his life he needs to be able to connect with all sorts of people and be willing to form new relationships.  Not only would this be healthier for him, it would ensure a safer future for him living in human world.  

The other employee, not to be outdone, turned Z out the next morning and brought him in for dinner.  The days of Z being 'uncatchable' and difficult' appear to be slipping into history.  And I am even more thrilled to report that in the two weeks I have been back at home waiting for Z to move, he was been going out with the school horses every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment